Saturday, March 15, 2008

A NEW ADVENTURE, A GLANCE, A TURN AROUND

My hubby is so wonderful and just an incredible worker. Last Friday he called me around 7 and said he was going to help his friend out and do his overnight shift for him. So, after a very long day, he ended up working through the night for a total of 16 hours. As a thankyou, this friend gave him a gift certificate that can be used at Red Lobster or Olive Garden.This is all we have been talking about all week. We have been a little down on the money, so this adventure of going out to eat was just what we needed. Both Steve and I have never done Red Lobster (I have never been much of a seafood fan), so we decided to adventure out there and try something a little different for us. (The family that keeps tabs on us know that Olive Garden is a very special place for us...and kind of our "default" restaurant for special occasions). So, Red Lobster would really be a change...but Steve and I are all about trying new things.


This really was the highlight of our week...what we had been looking forward to and planning. We weren't sure how we were going to react to it, and what the prices were, so we had a plan that if we looked at the menu and it cost more than our gift card we would just leave.


So, we get in the car and drive---with excitement in the air. We pull up and start to head in. Steve opens the front door to the waiting area. And, before we had a chance to go through the second door---I was overcome with the smell of seafood. It was too much for me to handle. I started hurdling over as if I would be sick and said "I don't think I can do this." It didn't last more than five seconds.



We turned right around, got back into the car, and headed to our old favorite OLIVE GARDEN! Steve said, "you should really blog about this..." We were laughing at how quickly our new adventure ended...sooooo funny!


Let me just say, that it was worth it. An old friend, Erin, works there...so we asked to be seated in her area. She, of course, made it all so much more fun.

Steve and I are chicken fans, and decided to venture out with meals we never had tried. Needless to say....it truly was one of the BEST meals we ever had there. Andy sat the whole time in a little highchair and ate the bread sticks. SO MUCH FUN!


At the end of the meal, Erin gave us an employee discount ( of course, she is just so great)...so we didn't even use all the money on our gift card. We left the restaurant and got to drive home in a mini blizzard (this weather is summer one day, then winter the next).
Overall, it truly was a wonderful time. We may not have branched out, but we started on our new adventure...at lest we gave it a little glance before we turned around. What a great time!...

8 comments:

Kelli W. said...

It's good to have your ole' stand by favorite. I love that you guys attempted a new experience even though you only made it to the entrance! We don't have an Olive Garden where I live, but if we did it would be my favorit too. Love that place!

Jen Bowen said...

Maybe next time try an adventure that doesn't involve fish? I'm glad the gift card gave you the two options so you could still really enjoy it!

Page said...

FUN. We got a restaurant gift card for our wedding and thought it was a great gift idea. We would never go out to eat if it weren't for those gift cards!! When we have money, I will give those to newly married couples all the time.

Kathi said...

How fun!! i'm so glad you were able to treat yourselves. You deserve it!!!

Chris & Stephanie said...

What a great gift! It's always such a treat to have a family date! Olive Garden is ALWAYS a good choice (although I LOVE Red Lobster) - besides, Andy got to try it out too! Glad you blogged about it.

Mandi said...

We love Olive Garden also. We go every year for our anniversary. When we went this year...it was in Michigan. We haven't eaten out since we moved here...and we are not in Utah any more. When you walk in and they ask if you want smoking or non-smoking you are in for a treat! After 3 different tables we finally were seated in the most "non-smoking table in the place." Smelling smoke is like smelling sea-food, it just makes dinner miserable!

JAMIE said...

I think gift cards to restaurants are the best...it is the only way we go out to eat...and it is so nice to go out to eat sometimes. Not doing dishes, worrying about a meal, and just having someone wait on you...love it!

Jenessa said...

That's hilarious, Jamie! I won't tell you what I had for lunch (salmon). I never knew you had such an aversion to seafood. I guess you, Joe, Nick & Trent can start a "No fish club!" Glad you got yummy Olive Garden, though. Always fun to go out! Luv, Jae