Friday, February 26, 2010

Technology---??? Want or NEED??

This is a rant...

I could go off forever on the evils/goods of technology. I basically took a course in college dedicated to just that topic!!

Today I am thinking about the wonderful blessings of technology...Mainly because we won't be having internet as of tomorrow and are trying to figure out what we should do about it ( our Internet source is moving...we worked out a deal with them).



Without technology---
--I am not sure I would be alive today. Technological advances in the medical field have made my life amazing and for sure will make me live longer. Because of new sources they have found to monitor diabetes, and keep under control...I believe that is how I had my little gals. God bless technology for that reason.
--The world we NOW live in is so dependent on technology. We are told in times of trial ( financial burden) , or just in general, to only buy our necessities...The things we need to survive--such as food, water, clothing, and shelter. Now, I fear, I am falling into a trap thinking technology is an essential.
It is how we pay and monitor our bills, how I make and keep appointments, find out where I am driving, apply for medical school and benefits, how we keep in contact with loved ones, do our taxes, how I make certain purchases, how I get ALL kinds of information!!

You can't even do some things without technology ( like apply for medical school, all online). Now-a days when I call a 1800 number for customer service, the first thing they ask/tell me is the internet site and how to go on and get information (if I wanted to do that I would NOT have called you in the first place).

You don't realize how much you use technology until the possibility of having it taken away from you is there...Then you begin to panic.

So, here is my question...This is posed as my hubby and I are debating if we should make a contract for the internet, or just use it on occasion at the library until we move in JULY. Is technology a want or a need?

5 comments:

Jenessa said...

Well either way you look at it, it sure makes life a whole lot easier! When we first moved to Florida, we were lost because we couldn't mapquest anything and were going crazy for the 6 days we didn't have internet because we couldn't even find the place to return the Penske truck very easy. I pay all my bills online and would be lost without the internet. I say if you can, you should get it. Do you have a home phone line? Cuz you can get dial-up for $5. Check out www.copper.net

Lydia said...

It's a need in my house. Everything you've already said. Bills, contact with family, news, etc. If you can work it as a need, keep it up. Unless you can live at the library. Though our local library only allows 1 hour a day per card holder. Andy & RJ aren't too young for their first card, right? ;)

Genny said...

Hmmmm. I'd say keep the internet. Just get the cheapest one you can find...it'll probably be slow, but that's ok! But really, it all depends on you. I mean really you don't neeeeeeed it but it makes life easier!

Pamela said...

Everyone else had made some valid points, so there's not much to add. Maybe make a list of the things that you REALLY need to use it for, and see if it would benefit you to tote 2 kids to the local library or to get something at home. If you can find a basic internet (nothing fancy like Comcast), you can get by until you leave.

louis vuitton said...

chanel handbags
chanel bags
chanel outlet
chanel speedy
chanel purses
chanel wallets
chanel luggage
chanel eluxury