Sunday, March 6, 2011

Mardi Gras, 2011!!!

 It is March In New Orleans, which can only mean one thing..MARDI GRAS!!!  Awesome, crazy and wild are just a few of the words I am using to describe it!

There are still 2 Days left of Mardi Gras, and I have already been to 5 parades!
 That might seem like alot of parades, but carnival season starts in Jan my friends...and there are 5-6 parades a day for a few weeks!  I have been wondering about Good old New Orleans, but I must say that Mardi Gras had really helped me to appreciate it on a whole new level.
 These parades are not like anything I have ever seen!!!  First of all, to be in the parade you have to be in the "krewe" that puts it on, and PAY to be IN it.  The mardi gras parades are famous for their "throws" of bead, all sort of them, (some normal, some lighted up, some with emblems), and depending on the krewe and parade, they have their own special throws.  Like a shoe, with the emblem on it, stuffed animals, flowers.
 You will notice different outfits, since we have gone over a few days.  Mardi Gras is not at all what you would expect, very family friendly.  Dont get me wrong, there are very crazy aspects of the whole thing...but not at all like you hear or expect for that matter.

This is a very common thing at the parades, and something I have never personally seen.  People set up this ladders and get their kids to sit in them...That way they can see "reach out" for beads everywhere.
Each parade we went to was very different.  The ones in the city are HUGE HUGE HUGE,and crazy, but they also are the nicest and give out the biggest and best pics.  I have no pics of that parade, which was my favorite.

The video doesn't really catch the feel of it.  The floats of people are usually pouring out beads and prizes, non stop...The one time I recorded it you couldn't tell.  The parades are throughout the day and night...and very long and exhausting, but so much fun.  Steve was done after our second parade, but I think we still should go to as many as possible.

The big problem is saving a spot and the crows and waiting.  It really is incredible though, and I plan on making it a tradition.  Can't wait for the next time I get to yell "THROW ME SOMETHIN MISTER!" (I forgot to mention KING CAKE--YUMMM!)

2 comments:

Ang said...

sounds so fun! who doesn't love a good parade?! and I'm so jealous of the short sleeves and shorts!!

The Pyper Fam said...

That sounds awesome! Right up your alley! :) I want to come to Mardi Gras some time! :) I love love love the picture of Rodda sitting on the chair with the red bow in her hair! I hadn't seen a recent picture of her, she is so cute! :) Can't wait to actually talk to you!