Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The verdict is in....

My sweet little angel of a person now will be wearing glasses...!!!

What a new world we are intering in. No one in my fam or Steve's does the glasses thing, so this is a brand new world to us. Didn't realize just how expensive the whole process is.

The good news is that Andy's problem can be solved with glasses as she is far sighted...It is only a vision thing , and a correctable thing at that. That alone make us very happy.

I know it is only glasses, but I am still a little overemotional about the whole thing. It is just going to be an experience trying to get her to wear them, and dealing with not fun kids making fun of her HUGE glasses (they are going to be the REALLY REALLY BIG KIND).

I am excited, ready and anxious for her glasses to be ready. I think this will change her world. She won't get so frustrated and I think alot of things will improve with her. Because she is so young and small, we have to special order the frames--not many kids HER AGE wear glasses so they are hard to find.

I have already been given some great council and advice, but if ANYONE has any thoughts on glasses, how to get them cheap, what to expect...how I should not be worried...I would love to hear anything you have!!

7 comments:

Lena Baron said...

One of the little boys that I nannied wore glasses. He was a little over one year old. He had the band that we tighted so he couldn't slip them off. Really, the only issue we had was him getting them dirty all the time. We washed them a lot and when he got older he would try to hide them to be silly. But over all, he recognized that he needed them and it wasn't a big issue. Especially when they are young. They have No Concept about the fact that they have glasses and other kids don't. That doesn't come until they are closer to preschool age. And the complex issue can be minimized by the adult reaction around them. Only discuss the cuteness around her! Good Luck! We thought Jakob might need glasses and I do remember the emotion that came with the thought.... All will be well.

Lydia said...

We thought Grant had the same thing. But it was only a pseudo-something. Anyway, I remember the fretting and thinking he'd be made fun of, don't worry. Spencer's little sister Callie had the exact same thing, wore glasses, grew out of it, and voila! She just got married this past Feb, btw. I got glasses FOR LIFE when I was 9. I wish I could have grown out of it! ;) Don't worry. I think little kids with glasses are extremely cute!

Sherri said...

That happened to one of my neighbors. Her son's eye just turned in one day and they found out he needed glasses.
Don't spend alot on unbreakable glasses as she'll lose those. It's always good to have a backup pair (the ugly, cheap pair). Shop the two for one sales.I've heard Walmart and Costco are good for kids frames.

Ang said...

poor kid! she'll be so cute in little glasses though!

Pamela said...

If she still needs them as she gets older, there is a website called www.zennioptical.com. They have way cheap glasses - I'm currently wearing one of their $8 pairs (that includes lenses). They've got some cute kids frames you'll probably like for her.

Becky said...

Echo on the http://www.zennioptical.com/cart/home.php. I'm also currently wearing an $8 pair. Awesome!

Taffers Dawn said...

Jamie, Good luck, i know it will be a change but you are such an amazing mom and she is such a cute girl! Don't worry too much! I love you girl!