Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Memorial Day with Grandma

Growing up we spent many a memorial day at Wasatch Memorial Park visiting My grandpa Marion with alot of the family. Grandma made sure we would all go and trim around the stone.

When Grandma Died 6 years ago and had her funeral on my birthday, I did not know what I was going to do. Grandma is one of , if not THE greatest person I know. She raised 4 children on her own, she is strong willed and just purely incredible.

I have always been a little sad that Steve never met her. I am happy for the people in my life who have cause I think their lives are better.

Since her funeral, I have not been back to visit the graveside. I have no excuse, but this year I was missing her so much and wanted Andy and Steve to be a part of it. I love what it says, "sweethearts forever", with "BYU", and everything. While sitting there, Jae and her family showed up. I just thought "man, grandma would like it better this way that we were there together." I was so glad that Jae had the same idea as us!!
I just wanted to write a little salute to grandma. When she died, a sapphire ring she bought in Thailand got split in put into necklaces for her grandchildren. My parents waited to give me mine when I graduated from college.

"Sapphire has long symbolized honesty, truth, sincerity and faithfulness. Tradition holds that Moses was given ten Commandments on tablets of sapphire making it the most sacred gemstone. It is the symbol of pure and wise rulers.
The Sapphire is also the birthstone for September, the month when Beverly Robinson Probert was born, September 10, 1932. When in Thailand in 1975 (where her son Steven was serving a mission), Bev purchased a beautiful sapphire ring with nine blue sapphires-enough for each of her daughters and granddaughters to receive one many years later, after her passing on Aug 8 2003.
When wearing the sapphire pendant, we hope you will remember your Grandma Bev and will remember she stood for honesty, truth, sincerity, and faithfulness and that you are one of her choice jewels, her granddaughter."
When I was given my sapphire, I remember thinking it was the most precious things ever. Plus, it is my favorite stone and color. I said to myself that it was an awesome necklace, but it would look good in a ring. It was originally in a ring , and should be back in a ring.
So, when Steve and I were getting engaged, I wanted a different kind of ring. It came to both of us--"let's put the sapphire as the center piece in my ring". Steve was so great to go along with it. I am so glad that my grandma will always be close to my heart. She is one of my closest friends and I know that she is looking after me from heaven.
I only wish I could be as amazing as her one day. Her strength, courage, faith, love, charity, sincerity are amazing.
I miss you grandma and I love you so much!!



2 comments:

Ang said...

I love that you are so sentimental! That is really a special gift. Your grandma sounds like an amazing woman!

Sally F said...

That made me cry. So sweet!