Monday, December 7, 2009

A wonderful church surprise!!

Yesterday started out like our typical sunday. We were running very late, already 20 minutes late to church, barely prepared for Sunday...



We rushed out the door and got to church. Steve and I even debated on walking in the chapel and finding a seat, or sitting on the chairs just outside. I then decided it is more fun on testimony day to watch the people speak. We get a seat on the very back row.





Andy starts acting up, so I am paying attention to her, barely hearing the testimonies. All of a sudden, the bishop announces that Dallin H. Oaks will be bearing his testimony. I almost yell out loud "WHAT?" Steve replies, "didn't you see him sitting up there and people talking about him?" NO NO NO, i didn't.





I almost hyperventilate, realizing how amazing this moment is...I've only heard of this sort of thing. He gets up and says sometimes if he doesn't have a stake conference to go to, he just drives around until he finds a nice looking building with nice people and just decides to come check in on them. "SERIOUSLY?"











He then bears his testimony about the gospel and how the holy ghost is unique gift to our church and we need to use it. He tells us he will be "popping in" to some of our class rooms for a few minutes and he doesn't want to disrupt, just see how we do things. WOW





To be completely honest, I was a little sad since I figured we wouldn't see him cause we are in primary. So, right after sacrament meeting, I decided I needed to shake his hand. I was in shock there wasn't a line. I went right up to him and said, can I just shake your hand, and could feel of his powerful calling.




I ran back to Steve saying "I want Andy to meet this apostle." So he ran her up to him, he took her hand and called her a Dear. We loved that of course.





Went to primary and just before senior primary was excused...he shows up. I about died. You could fill the spirit when he walked in the room. The presidency asked if he wanted to share something with the kids. So he got up, and spoke directly to them about being the rising generation and very special and unique for the church. He bore testimony of Jesus and how special they are to him. I was holding back the tears. It was so powerful and incredible...never been that intimate with an apostle. There are 24 kids in our primary...




He stayed in the back for a few more minutes and watched sharing time. INCREDIBLE! I felt bad for all the people who missed church yesterday or who were sick ( which was me last week). You really never know how church is going to go. I felt the spirit Elder Oaks exuded and am so grateful for his testimony. I will always remember this special sunday!

5 comments:

Me said...

Cool--I heard about Elder Packer doing that sometimes too.

Mary P.

Jenessa said...

That's awesome...I wonder if they ever visit Florida:)

Lydia said...

Awe-some! Elder Holland visited our branch in Cairo. That was a little more planned, so we have pics, etc. But we had a fireside and he spoke to about 25-30 of us. Then we had refreshments & chats afterwards. Now you can tell Andy she's met an apostle!

Genny said...

WOW!

conner.artist said...

I can imagine that was a bit nerve-racking for the Sharing Time teacher, but that is awesome. I remember when Elder Nelson used to come to our homeward when my dad was Bishop. His kids and grandkids were in our stake and a few were in my ward. When they were baptized or had other family events, Elder Nelson would be there. It always made my dad nervous.