Friday, October 3, 2008

Fall Football with BYU!!!


Fall Football season is my favorite time of year. It is something that is hard to describe. Besides the fact that my great grandpa, grandpa, and dad played football at BYU ( and my grandpa's number is retired---I will tell that whole story one day), I just love watching cougar football.

For as long as I can remember it is a long standing tradition in my family--something that just brings us all together watching BYU games. As I am sitting here alone on a friday night (Steve is working) watching number 7 ranked BYU cream USU, my mind is reflecting on my BYU football experiences.
I was born in Provo, my first game was as a baby. I attended BYU games throughout my life. I remember when they re-retired my grandpa's number and I got to be on the football stadium during halftime to be a part of it.


I remember crushing on Ty Detmer, wanting to marry Steve Young...and nearly passing out with joy when BYU called my brother to have him on the team ( he is on his mission right now)... Most cougar fans don't know what it means to be a true blue fan. Here are a few of my points---
I have had this discussion with several of my BYU friends throughout the years...First--you must wear blue and only blue o the game. So what if you go into debt to buy a blue coat, it is worth it. Second, no matter how far ahead BYU is--you CANNOT leave the game early. Even if it is pouring snow and we are ahead by 50 points. Third, you cannot leave the game if there is no way for us to come back. A true blue fan will always have faith in their team. Fourth, you must learn the fight song and chant it in your oponents ears. Oh, there is so much more...If you are a true blue fan--you must be aware of your one rival---There is always something to be said about the BYU/UTAH rivalry.

It seems to be my lot in life that people who I am very closely connected to have some connection to that OTHER school. Whether it is close friends, boys I had a crush on, fellow missionary elders, or our next door neighbors---there was always someone around to rival with. That other school does not yet seem to understand that BYU is infact number one. They are the best. There is nothing that compares to them.
I have usually made a bet or something of some sort every year. From spray painting to dying someone's urine blue, chalking a house, shredding paper, there is something so great about just pushing in the face a brilliant victory. So i say again to my untouched team this year---GO COUGARS!!

5 comments:

Jenessa said...

From one die hard BYU fan to another--this truly is a amazing year for the BYU football team! Wanted to pass along the homecoming activities in case you hadn't reviewed them yet: http://byusa.byu.edu/content/view/6322/
Let me know if you head down for any of the festivities...Luv, Jae

Anonymous said...

Oh my little blue friend, someday you will come to realize the mistake you made heading down to the "Why" and cheering for the boys in blue. You haven't seen what your missing up in The Higher Kingdom up north.
Please give up your evil ways. Come, join a winning team. Anyone can beat Utah State, but those of us on the red side have so much more to live for.

Me said...

Ya---too bad True Aggie Blue had to be stolen by the Y. Just realize that as the Y creamed USU--that the blue coat you go into debt for is actually True Aggie Blue.....:)

Oh--and my personal opinion now, is that I LOVE going Big BLUE AND RED (GO KU!!!!)

:) Your True Aggie Blue, U of U Red, and KU Red and Blue friend--Mary P.

Sally F said...

Don't you hope that both us and the team up north are undefeated until we meet, the last game of the season, and we win--in their house?!?! And that victory allows us to go on to a BCS bowl?

The quest for perfection is on, baby!

The Pyper Fam said...

Ok so I've been meaing to comment for like your past 5 posts, but I just haven't! sorry! I'm glad to know that even though you aren't in good ol' Proves anymore, your blood is still blue (like I even doubted it for a second) and also, I am so impressed with your ability to take care of 4 children! If you look at our blog, you will see that we also babysat for a family of 4 kids last week while the parents were on a cruise (family friends) and it was a lot of work! There is defintiely a reason why we only have one at a time! :) And you know exactly what I mean! :) Also, I am so very impressed with your medical school sign! I'm excitd to hear where you guys end up! :) Well, Ok I think that is all for now! I hope all is well! I think that little Andy is just hte cutest thing in the world!