Friday, March 6, 2009

Why It AINT So Bad Being BROKE!!!!

Almost everyone I know has DVR, cable, the works. Also own a home, three cars, etc. I would be lying if I said there were times I was NEVER jealous! We live in an apt, have one barely working car and most definetly do NOT have any kind of cable or anything like it....Ok, now it sounds like I am complaining and I really don't mean it that way....This is just a HUGE setup for what is next!

Last night "my show" was on---The Idol! While everyone around me was using their DVR to record the show and watch it later so as to fast forward the commercials, I was the sucker that had to watch it live ( or was I?).

Last night the show went over almost 10 minutes. These 10 minutes were only the BIGGEST 10 minutes in the history of idol. They announced that instead of having a top 12, there will be a top 13. But it wasn't the announcement that was so great as the LIVE REACTION to the announcement!

Well, you guessed it. Those with DVR missed it. It cut off the last of the show! So, those of us who can't afford those luxeries got a small one thrown at them in that we got to see the end!!! I know I am rambling off at the expense of others, but it was so hilarious to me that people brag about their DVR and this one time it wasn't a good thing to have. I WILL TAKE WHAT I CAN GET!

In other words, even when we think we aren't caught up with the rest of the world, have the same things they have, get things they want when they need it---every now and then there is a little reminder that Money isn't everything. We can be happy with whatever we have been given, and for this moment---Steve and I will probably be struggling with the money issue for the next 10 years. But there will come a time when we won't have to worry as much. I am not going to wait 10 years to be happy, but look for the little things NOW in the MOMENT that make things just a little brighter!!

6 comments:

Jenessa said...

They had a news article on Idol abt how most the world missed the 'announcement'. I was glad I saw it, too--no DVR for us either. Thanks for the reminder to be happy NOW and not wait 'til the grass is greener'. I try and do that, but sometimes we can get down. You're a trooper, James, and I love you and your cute family!

Anonymous said...

My husband and I have a "dvr" but it's a function of our media center PC. We don't watch Idol though, so I didn't even know about this until you posted about it. :)

Lydia said...

Awww, nuts. We don't have dvr, but we have to watch Idol delayed by a day or a week, depending on the night. They won't show that part for us. Our first Thanksgiving here, we discovered that they cut-off after one hour, the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. I know, I know, awful but it's a family tradition!!!

Wendy Babcock said...

I am one of those people that depend too much of technology. So let me know who was the last person voted in!?!

Pamela said...

I haven't been able to catch a lot of Idol this season (shame on me, I know...), BUT! I did catch last weeks wild card show. I was trying to figure out why it was going past the hour and thought it was either a longer episode or my clock was off. I was happy I continued to watch and saw the ending!
On a side DVR note, my sister in law and I love the show Lost. Because of her DVR, she didn't realize she was missing an enhanced version of the previous weeks episode. Sometimes technology isn't as great as we think...

Ang said...

We used to have a DVR and it was awfully nice. We have been desperately trying to cut back in every way possible so it's gone along with many other conveniences. Guess what? We don't even miss them. Really. It was nice when we had it, but there are much better things to do with our time!