Sunday, August 10, 2008

2008 Olympics






I love the Olympics!!! I love what they stand for...I love the athleticism... I love the honor in representing ones country...I love how a nation comes together and stands proud to honor those athletes and their country.


I think my love for them has to do with my family. We always watched the Olympics with a sort of pride for team USA. Growing up we weren't allowed to watch any tv or movies on sunday ( even the super bowl, we would record and watch it later)...but for some reason we were allowed to watch the Olympics.


When my fam watches we don't just watch...we cheer...and scream and go crazy. When USA wins, there is no watching...THERE IS STANDING AND SINGING THE ANTHEM WITH THEM WITH YOUR HAND OVER YOUR HEART.

There is somthing truly incredible about being a part of this. In fact, I almost stayed home from my mission because the Olympics were going on in my home town. I just couldn't beleive I would be missing that one chance ( if I stayed I would also be missing that one chance). No matter where you are in the world...you can watch the olympics and be brought together with people who are far away from you.,.


My Own Very Special Olympic Memory

Four years ago--I lived in a cramped apt with 5 other girls. We had no tv and I was devasted beyound belief that I could not watch the Olympics and be a part of it. I was also feeling old (all my roomies were 18 and I was turning 25 that year) and not wanting any bday celebration. To my complete surprise...my sweetheart and sister planned an OLYMPIC surprise party for me ( since everyone knew of my olympic obsessions).
The put a gold medal that said happy bday on me, had the olympic song playing and my sweetie who was just my friend at the time lent us his TV for the entire duration of the Olympics. It was the only channel on for 2 weeks.


So, for the next two weeks,I will be displaying different flag backgrounds and different ways of showing my pride for my country. GO USA!!

5 comments:

Sherri said...

I love it. That is so sweet!

Page said...

That is such a cute story! Go Steve!

Brandon Johnson said...

I love it! The background is so fitting... That is a really fun story - what a nice surprise! I also love the Olympics and watch non-stop whenever I get the chance. The men's 4x100 freestyle relay was amazing Sunday night!!!!

Carissa J said...

I love the Olympics, too. I was so sad that I was on my mission when the Olympics came to Salt Lake. It actually turned out to be a great missionary tool because they would show the Salt Lake temple a ton. That is such a sweet story with Steve. I can see why you married him ;)

Pamela said...

What?? I was not 18! It took a lot of work to pull of that party! I'm glad you enjoyed it! It really was an awesome time! (wasn't that the creepy Greek opening ceremony too?)