Monday, February 23, 2009

Diabetic Drama

My Diabetic Drama Story

We have been lucky over the past couple of years. Since Steve and I have known each other I have never had a really BAD diabetic low experience in front of him. I have been low, and high, but not to the point where I needed help. Most people who know me even a little have experienced this, so it is interesting that he hasn't yet and I never knew how he would react.

I woke up at about 1 am a little disoriented (those are the worst, when I just wake up). To explain it to those of you to understand...you know how when you wake up, sometimes you forget the time, day and what is going on around you?

When you wake up low, it is like doing that, but never coming to realizing where you are, what is going on. All I knew was that something was wrong and my brain was confused and I needed help.

I somehow managed to get downstairs and say something like "I need help." Steve immediately ran to my side and said to sit down while he got me food and my meter. We tested my blood to find out I was 30. This is bad, really bad, almost a miracle a woke up, made it downstairs and asked for help.

Everything from this point was disorienting and spinning. I just remember my hubby putting his hands on my head and that was the only thing that put my brain back together. If he moved his hands, I got confused.

So, to make a very long story short My hubby was my hero. He was very calm and he was right there for me and waited it out until I was where I needed to be. I am grateful this is the first time I have needed help from him. As most of you know, after a disastrous diabetic drama, I am usually completely out of it the next day---it takes a toll on me. So, this is going to be a fun day.



ON to the Topic of the Late Larry Miller and such related news


I am going to be completely honest. The hardest part about the passing of death of Larry Miller for me was the cause.---Diabetic complications. This, as you can imagine, hit very close to home.


Any time anyone from my life claims that they are diabetic, we are instantaneously friends. (my brother gessel from the mission is one example). So, when Larry died due to complications, I stopped listening to all the reports. I couldn't handle it.




I have been this way my entire life. Any time someone would scare me into taking care of myself by listing the complications (which is never a good thing to do FYI), I would shut off. Trying to live my life.




I have never gone on a tangent about diabetes on my blog. I have tried not to let it be my life. The passing of Larry Miller has forced me to bring it out even more. If you notice the background of my blog is dedicated to curing diabetes.



This Saturday I am actually going to a diabetes expo to help and learn more about what I can do.

I am not going to be a victim, but I am going to do whatever I can to live as long as I can. As you know, it can complicate getting pregnant and the whole pregnancy process. So, when I hear that people with 5 kids are sad they can't get pregnant it just frustrates me. Again, my goal is to get in even better control and to live healthier. Having said that--I am down 12 pounds and counting!


On to HEALTHY LIVING!

9 comments:

Ang said...

Scary! Good for you - live your best and fullest life and take the best care of you. Steve is awesome - he's exactly who you need. I hope you'll be able to have more babies - little Andy makes the world a prettier place!!

Sherri said...

I am so glad you are ok. You woke up and Steve was right there to help you.
And congrats on the 12 pounds. That is awesome!
Love you!!!

Genny said...

Jamie! Do you have insurance to cover diabetes education classes? I hear that there are really good support groups.

Keep up with keeping strong! You can definitely live a very long and healthy life. You are an amazing woman and I love to read your blogs.

Lydia said...

yay for 12 pounds!! seriously, it is scary when you're low, james, glad that steve was there. can't wait to meet this hero guy this summer! and that cute baby!

Lena Baron said...

My dear Jamie! You are on the right track. Keep up the good work! You are in my thoughts and prayers! I'm so glad you're with us today!!

Jenessa said...

I'm so glad you're ok and that Steve was calm. He's a great guy and sounds like he knew exactly what to do to help you. Having known you all your life, I know what a struggle diabetes has been to you and KUDOS to you for not letting it 'run' your life! You're doing great and 12 lbs--YAY!!! Thanks for sharing your story...Love ya--Jae

Unknown said...

My father is diabetic and is creating a website about some of the same issues you are concerned about. His website is www.diabetesstraighttalk.com
if you are interested.
We'll keep you in our prayers.

The Pyper Fam said...

You go girl!!! I am very proud of you, I can imagine it must be hard! And congrats on the 12 pounds. I'm going to call you soon, we just got back into town tonight from visiting my grandparents. Talk to you soon!

3in3mom said...

Good luck--I have two siblings with diabetes and I have been with them in some scary times. I hope and pray that you find comfort and joy in your life and your daughter and husband. They are sure a blessing to you. Lots of love to you.

Chalice (Jae's sister in law)