Friday, April 25, 2008

BYU Graduation 2008


It happened---it finally happened! CONGRATULATIONS STEVE ON YOUR GRADUATION! I am so proud! I made Steve do the entire works with walking and everything. This was all for me actually---I needed to be a part of it. There really is something special about graduating from BYU. There is a sweet and tender spirit about it. I, of course, was overcome with emotion. I think I cried the whole first ceremony. It really was a site to behold with over 6000 grads, 3/4 of them speaking a different language and half of them married (only at BYU). There is an amazing feeling being surrounded by those who hold up to an honor code and aren't afraid of what the world thinks of you.


They talked of service ALOT. Elder Bednar also spoke about "learning to love learning" and how it doesn't stop here at all...Boy, isn't that the truth. We still have about 100 years left. That is why I think Steve wasn't that into it at the beginning, but this was a part of his life---something he won't have again. I truly felt a wonderful spirit throughout the whole process.
The best part was the second day. Andy had her own little cap and gown. She truly was a site as you can see. People stopped and wanted to take pics with her. I was loving it of course, as was Steve. I think that really made everything more fun for all of us.

For his own biology college (his degree is MOLECULAR BIOLOGY) Steve took Andy with him. She sat on his lap the whole time. When it came time to read names, Steve was still holding Andy and I was ready to grab her if needed. I wasn't sure what was going to happen. The greatest thing did happen---the announcer says " ANDREA COOK WITH HER FATHER STEPHEN LARRY COOK."
I about died! I couldn't believe they said her name. I loved every second of it. It is something we really won't forget. I am so proud of you Steve. Way to go---and now moving forward!!



The video on the top is Steve coming in with Andy for the processional. The one on the botton is him walking to have his name announced with ANDY...

All in all, it really was fun. His college had a little luncheon afterward. So great!!

12 comments:

Page said...

WHERE did you get the baby cap and gown??? I looked for one for Carson and couldn't find it. I'm jealous of your cute pictures!

JAMIE said...

you know how they offered little kid ones? Yeah, well, if you look closely---I "safey pinned" everything...Yep----it is for a 5 year old, but I safety pinned some alterations. No one knew---even the hat was super huge, but somehow I got around it.

Jill said...

that's great about the graduation.

and so cute, the baby grad outfit.

always adorable, jamie.

Ang said...

Congratulations Steve! We don't even know you but because we love Jamie we know you are a great guy. You really are so sweet - I have enjoyed reading about you guys. It's fun to "get to know you" through the blog. I remember my hubby graduating from BYU with our two little girls. My baby was a week old and she had a BYU cheerleader outfit....so cute! I love Andrea's little cap and gown. She is so precious!

Sherri said...

Congratulations Stephen! I love that you carried Andy with you. She is adorable! You have such a cute family!

Brandon said...

Love the post! Congrats Steve! Andy is getting so big! We need to see you guys soon.
-Brandon

Shawn and Rachel Smith said...

I am so proud of you Steve and Jamie, you guys did it and you both worked so hard for it. You both have made some great sacrifices including leaving Arizona to finish. I am so so happy for both of you. Yea. I wish you great success in your new job and way cute having Andy dress up and be a part of your joy.

Carissa J said...

I can't believe the announcer said Andrea's name. That is so funny. Congratulations Steve and good luck with the few years of medical school you have ahead of you!

The Pyper Fam said...

How fun! I love that they announced Andrea first, with her daddy! :)She is the cutest little thing... I know how you feel about leaving a place you have loved so long. I get really reminicent every time I go back to Provo, and I wasn't even there as long as you have been! But its the beginning of a new chapter in your lives, and it is so exciting! I'm excited for you! Although, I am not jealous of how much more school Steve has. Bens only getting his bachelors still, and I feel like it has been a lifetime! :) But the end will come! :) Anyway, love the pics, you guys are super cute! :)

Jenessa said...

Congrats, Steve! Such a cute liitle Andrea-grad, too! Glad you did the ceremonies. It's true that there's nothing like BYU ceremonies, etc. We hope all goes well with you move, etc. Luv, Jae

Brandon Johnson said...

I love the cap and gown on Andrea. That is awesome they announced her name! Congrats on graduating Steve! That is so exciting. What a neat thing. Good luck in finding a great graduate school.

Kelli W. said...

What a special time for your family! very cute photos! Good luck in your move and next adventure.