Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Inauguration----my thoughts on the whole process

I remember (and I am being totally honest) when I was nine years old sitting in school and watching the inauguration of President Bush after the years of Ronald Reagan.


I couldn't have understood much really, but I remember knowing I loved Ronald Reagan and feeling sad for him, crying that he had to stop being president but really understanding that his VP was going to be president.




There is something incredible no matter whom you voted for that is just beautiful about an inauguration ceremony. I sobbed the whole time watching it. I don't know why to be completely honest. I just get touched at the whole process. I think it is truly amazing that we can put hard feelings aside for one day and come together to celebrate the beginning of a new president.
I wasn't all about the song or prayers, but more about the comradery that comes to a nation at this time. I have always felt this way about a new President and the ceremony. I don't know what is going to happen to America, but I was touched at how we can all come together. I hope that people can continue to remember these feelings of comradery...
Unfortunatley, it seems that we as Americans take tiem to come together through different crisis, then months later completely forget about it. I don't know how to change that except for change that in myself.
For now, I will simply remember the feelings I had while watching the inauguration

2 comments:

Lena Baron said...

Thanks Jamie! I felt the Same way!!

Nicholle said...

I agree. I don't have memories watching it like you do when we were little, but I think its important early on to have a sense of what this day means. I was glad to know my kids school let them watch it because it was is a neat experience especially given the history made this day. I was an Obama supporter, so I was happy to see this day come. But overall I think he inspires people and I think that is what America needs now. I loved this part of his speech and reiterated what you just mentioned about coming together, "For as much as government can do and must do, it is ultimately the faith and determination of the American people upon which this nation relies. It is the kindness to take in a stranger when the levees break, the selflessness of workers who would rather cut their hours than see a friend lose their job which sees us through our darkest hours. It is the firefighter's courage to storm a stairway filled with smoke, but also a parent's willingness to nurture a child, that finally decides our fate. "