Thursday, January 31, 2008

Thoughts on the Viewing of President Hinckley

I was thinking about how we aren't sure how much longer we are going to live in Utah. And, the viewing of President Hinckley was today so we wanted to take advantage while we could and go to (besides the fact that I really felt the need).
I wasn't exactly sure where it was, but that was no problem since we drove past the conference center and saw hoard of people in a line(expected around 60,000 or so a day). We figured they could at least guide us. Steve did the parking and I took Andy--all bundled up and waited in line.

Andrea had the best spirit about her. She was smiling and giggling, and making those around her happy as we were standing in the absolute freezing cold. I tried to keep the wind from blowing her. I know, she looks like a little pioneer--but it was blocking the wind (she even wore a dress, but you can't see).
(this was us waiting outside in line to get in--it was really cold)
We were not allowed our cameras inside, just while we were waiting...


An older man (an usher of some sort) came up to us and said "would you please follow me." Ok, what is going on.

We followed him to a heater. We stayed at the heater for about half a second when he guided us inside. I was so worried about having her in the cold, and someone must have felt that and did a tremendously good deed and let us go inside and not even wait in line. It was then I realized "wait, we have our baby with us at the conference center. Wait, there are other babies."

I then went to an usher and asked how the whole thing worked. She said that we would go in the conference center, and be seated and wait to ride the escalator to go to the presidents hall to see our prophet. This is the hall where they have all the paintings of the apostles and first presidency.

This is one of the few, if not the only event that we could bring little andy to. I thought that was amazing--how wonderful that she gets to be a part of it with us---and interesting that this is the ONE thing she can.

I was thinking about that as we were sitting in the conference center...looking around at all the people there to pay their respects . They had the motab playing in the background and everyone was very reverent. There was a very calming spirit there. Just peaceful and wonderful to see how loved he was.

We went to the hall of prophets and waited in another line. In this line they had pictures of the apostles and first presidency. Steve stayed in line while I took Andy around and showed her all their pictures and explained who they all were. She had a smile on her face the entire time. Everyone could feel of her little spirit. WE then went were Pres. Hinckley was and got to see him very briefly.

As I looked at him all in white, I was thinking about the temple and how I just love that he was in white. I thought of how Steve wore white for our wedding, and was loving it even more. I started my eternity with him and I all in white. Hinckley was passing through to another part of his eternity all in white.
It was all very brief, maybe 20 seconds, and we were told we had to move on. It was peacful as we walked and saw flowers from his family, and cards from primary kids. I didn't count ALL of his great grandchildren, but I got to 64 when we had to move on.

I am so glad we were able to go. I just needed that spiritual moment with my family. I will forever be grateful for the Prophet President Hinckley and his impact on all our lives. What a man of integrity. I will love to share with Andy when she is older that she was able to go and see President Hinckley with her mom and dad. What an experience that we were so grateful to attend, and hope that those are family who wished there were there could somehow go vicariously through us.

8 comments:

Chris & Stephanie said...

I'm so glad you posted this! I was just thinking of how much I would have loved to have gone. What an amazing experience in the perfect place - the Conference Center that he envisioned, build and dedicated! Count your blessings, you walked with angels today!

Chris & Stephanie said...

I can't stand typos! I meant "built"

Clean Cut said...

Thank you for sharing this experience. I'm so glad you all went. I would have loved to have gone. I enjoyed reading about it in the Deseret News this morning. The article not only made me feel like I was there, but was written in such a tender way that caused me to tear up a bit. "Tears, but no tragedy; and goodbyes, but no fear that it was a farewell without a future." I appreciate having other "eyes" since I'm out of state. And I loved "seeing" the card from President Hinckley's grandchildren. It made me want to pledge to always be grateful, smart, clean, true, humble, and prayerful because I love President Hinckley too. It was a perfectly appropriate, well-written, and reverent report, and nice to share with those of us who couldn't be there.

JAMIE said...

I know you all wish you could come...it was a long line---many people wish they could. Plenty of people in Utah could not even make it out, so don't feel bad.

We all will be watching the funeral tomorrow I hope!

Jenessa said...

Glad you went, Jamie. Sounds like a neat experience. It will be a wonderful spiritual experience to watch the funeral tomorrow...

H-less said...

It really is so wonderful that you posted about this so we all can feel a little part of it. I love thinking of you being there, your little Andy and her precious spirit. The pictures of you three are just priceless.

H-less said...

love the changes on the blog...all I have to say is DIMPLES!

Kelli W. said...

Hi Jamie, It's Kelli, Spencer's sister. I wanted to thank you for sharing your experience with all of us that couldn't be there. Thanks for braving the cold and crowds for such a special experience.